Y.A.Bhg. Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad, the fourth Prime Minister of
Malaysia, is a prominent politician, statesman and a leader of international
stature, well-known for his constructive and, at times controversial
ideas and firm in propagating his opinions and thoughts. He was
born on 20th December, 1925 in Seberang Perak, Alor Setar, Kedah.
He obtained his early education at the Seberang Perak Boys' School
and his secondary education at the Sultan Abdul Hamid College, both
in Alor Setar. He passed his Senior Cambridge with flying colours
in 1945. In 1947, he continued his studies at the King Edward VII
College of Medicine, Singapore. He obtained his medical degree (MBBS)
- Trainee Doctor, Penang General Hospital
- Medical Officer, Alor Setar General Hospital (1954)
- Has served at Langkawi Hospital, Jitra Hospital and Perlis Hospital
- Started his own private clinic (MAHA Klinik) in Alor Setar (1957)
- Minister of Education ( 5 Sept. 1974)
- Deputy Prime Minister (5 March, 1976). While still retaining
his Education portfolio.
- Took over the Ministry of Trade and Industry.
- Appointed the Fourth Prime Minister by His Majesty Yang di-Pertuan
Agong on 18 July 1981
- Defence Minister ( 18 July, 1981 until 6 May, 1986) while being
the Prime Minister.
- Minister of Home Affairs( 7 May, 1986) while being the Prime
- Minister of Law (1987), apart from Minister of Home Affairs
and (of course) Prime Minister.
- Minister of Home Affairs ( Oct 1990 - Jan 1999) while being
the Prime Minister
- Minister of Finance and Minister with Special Functions ( 5
June, 2001) apart from being the Prime Minister.
Involvements in Politics:
- Member, Malay Youth Association, Kedah
- UMNO member, Alor Setar Division
- Member, Alor Setar Town Council (1950's)
- Member of Parliament, Kota Setar South (1964)
- Member, UMNO Supreme Council (1973)
- Appointed Senator by the Kedah Executive Council
- Member of Parliament, Kubang Pasu (1974 until now)
- Vice President of UMNO (1980)
- President of UMNO (June 11981 until now)
In the field of international relations, he was able to attract
the attention of the world, especially the United Nations. Through
his speeches at the United Nations, his criticisms of Western countries
and major world powers, he has astounded many parties in his boldness
in putting forward his views and his visions about world order.
He has become the foremost leader from the Third World countries
and is being looked up upon by his fellow peers.
Involvements at the International Front:
- President, United Nations Sponsored International Conference
on Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking (ICDAIT), Vienna, Austria
- Chairman, High Level Appraisal Group (HLAG) CHOGM (1989)
- Chairman, the 27th CHOGM Conference in Kuala Lumpur
- Chairman, the Group of 11, Commonwealth Heads of Government
- Officiated the Opening Ceremony of Zimbabwe International Trade
Fair, the first non-African to be given such an honour since the
Trade Fair was launched 34 years ago (1994)
- Vice President, World Solar Commission (1996)
the field of national development, it was obvious that Tun Dr. Mahathir
created a paradigm shift in the structure of the economic system
in Malaysia. From a country that depended so much on self-subsistence
agriculture, cultivation of rubber and tin mining, Malaysia has
been transformed into a vibrant economic based on trading and industrialization.
Dr. Mahathir introduced heavy and high technology industries that
have become developed and competitive. He has also initiated several
changes in the administrative system of the country, by introducing
several policies which, among others, include the Look East Policy
by emulating the good qualities of the East Asian countries, the
'Clean, Efficient and Trustworthy' policy, 'Leadership By Example'
policy, and instilling 'Islamic Values in Administration' policy
which would make the government machinery more efficient, of higher
quality and more competitive. The implementation of such policies
has resulted in the Malaysian Civil Service being one of the best
in the world.
In order to achieve the status of a developed country, Tun Dr.
Mahathir has conceptualized VISION 2020, where by the year 2020
Malaysia is expected to be a fully developed country. He has called
upon the entire citizens of Malaysia to work harder and prepare
themselves to really achieve THAT VISION. In the late 1990s, Tun
Dr. Mahathir has taken steps to enable Malaysia to face the future
by establishing the MULTIMEDIA SUPER CORRIDOR (MSC), which emphasizes
'Information Technology"(IT) as very important asset for the
country in the new millennium.
During his schooling days, Tun Dr. Mahathir had great interest
in writing. He used to be the editor of the Darulaman magazine,
published by the Sultan Abdul Hamid Collage. While studying at the
University, he was the editor of the magazine published by the Medical
College of Singapore. Among his works are 'The Monetary Crisis of
Malaysia: How and Why It Happened', 'A New Deal for Asia' , 'The
Way Forward' 'The Voice of Asia: Two Leaders Discuss The Coming
Century' , 'The Malaysian System of Government' , 'Memerangi Kemiskinan
: Peladang, Penternak dan Nelayan' , ' Regionalism, Globalism and
Spheres of Influence' , 'The Challenge' , 'Guide for Small Businessmen'
, 'Malay Dilemma' , 'Warisan Kepimpinan' and 'Menghadapi Cabaran'.
In appreciation of his immense contributions, Tun Dr. Mahathir
received countless awards from within the country and internationally.Click
His contributions to religion, people and nation are immense in
propelling Malaysia to become a dynamic, modern and progressive
nation. His fortitude as the nation's main pillar for two decades
is an achievement that makes us very proud.