Dato' Dr. Abdul Halim bin Ismail was born on 28th of January, 1939
in Kedah Darul Aman. He had his early education at the Simpang Empat
Malay School and later continued his study at the Al-Maahad Al-Mahmud
(Mahmud College). He was then transferred to the Sultan Abdul Hamid
College (SAHC) to continue his Form Six education from 1960 till
1961. In 1965, Dato' Dr. Abdul Halim continued his studies at the
University of Malaya and graduated with Bachelor of Arts degree
in Economics. In 1966, he went to England and enrolled himself at
the University of Oxford, where he obtained Doctor of Philosophy
(PhD) in Economics.
- Lecturer (Faculty of Economics), National University of Malaysia
- Dean, Faculty of Economics, UKM
- Chief Economist, Bank Bumiputra Malaysia Berhad (1977-1982)
- Managing Director of Bank Islam Malaysia Berhad (1983-1994)
- Executive Chairman of BIMB Securities Sdn. Bhd.
- Director of BIMB Unit Trust Management Sdn. Bhd.
- Director of BIMB Holdings Sdn. Bhd.
- Director of Institute of Understanding Islam, Malaysia (IKIM)
- Member, Board of Directors of Golden Hope Plantation Berhad
- Committee Member of Syariah Advisory Council of the Securities
Commission and Bank Negara
- Chairman of the Senate, Northern University of Malaysia (UUM)
He was awarded the title of "Islamic Finance Figure"
for his excellent achievement in the field of Islamic Finance and
his immense contribution in developing Islamic Banking and Finance
in Malaysia as well as in the field of Islamic Management, planning,
law, research and development.
In appreciation of his enormous contributions and services, he was
awarded with the royal of Dato' Setia DiRaja Kedah (D.S.D.K.) by
HRH. The Sultan of Kedah, which carried the title of Dato'.